Fallen head over heels for food!!

Monday, April 26, 2010

Tiramisu + personal random nutrition beliefs (a.k.a RnBs)

After having a fairly disappointing tiramisu, I decided I would make my own.
I followed a tiramisu recipe from taste.com.au taking into some reader's comments mainly suggesting to beat the hell out of the thickened cream and egg whites as so soggy tiramisu are not very palatable.

Ingredients (I made ~10 individual glasses)
1 cup strong black coffee (or what ever you have at home, I used instant!)
1/2 cup marsala (I used tia maria)
3 eggs, seperated
1/3 cup caster sugar
250g mascarpone cheese
300ml thickened cream (whip until it's cement like)
1 packet of savoiardi biscuits (bought at coles)

1. Pour coffee + tia maria together in a dish, set aside
2. Beat egg yolks + sugar until pale and white using an electric beater. Add the mascarpone and whipped cream and mix until just combined.
3. Beat egg whites until stiff (defies gravity) and gently fold into the mixture in (2).
4. Dip sponge fingers on both sides into the coffee mixture (max 3 seconds, you don't want it soggy) and create a layer at the base of your container. Layer the mascarpone mixture on top.
5. Repeat the process in (4) and create how ever many layers you want (I did 3) finishing the tiramisu with the mascarpone mixture at the top.

Tada and ooh sooo gooood especially with a cup of unsweetened coffee.

They may not be restaurant worthy in appearance - a dusting of coco powder/shaved dark chocoalate can help with that - but the taste definitely were!!! 

One thing I would change next time would be using espresso coffee as the instant stuff just doesn't cut it - even though I put 4 teaspoons to 1 cup - and probably opt for a liquor/spirit higher in concentration to get that extra ooomph

Side note: 
I do believe in healthy eating (contrary to what people have said about my dessert consumption ) but I definitely don't believe that telling your self to NOT eat certain foods help at all. Yes, most desserts are extremely unhealthy BUT I do eat them because:
1. Desserts are a sometime food, not regularly and definitely not for everyday
2. If I am to eat dessert, I'd rather eat the full flavoured version (none of the low/reduced fat/sugar free crap as it just doesn't taste the same - you'll end up wanting more
3. Hey, if I was eating them once a week, I'd rather eat the best/most delicious
4. I keep my daily consumption balanced so I will be able to afford (not $$ wise) to have dessert without growing sideways (exercise does help!) 

Toodles

5 comments:

  1. That looks very good indeed! And yes desserts like this are good on a sometime basis although they can be hazardous to health on an every day basis :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want some of that tiramisu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge fan of following recipes and I did a similar thing to you by following SBS food's Tiramisu Recipe. But, I will be making this recipe too because of the way you have made it just looks soooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unsweetened coffee?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mia: tehehe i kind of combined the recipes I have found. Its very decadent so a little glass goes a long way!

    anon: definitely with unsweetened coffee! With the sugar/fat content in the tiramisu its enough to sweeten even a short black!

    ReplyDelete