Fallen head over heels for food!!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Baja Cantina

Ever since I graduated, I have the urge to explore Glebe and Newtown more. Like the age old saying along the lines of you won't miss it until it's gone.

Once while we were trekking through Glebe we came across Baja Cantina. After a while I realised it is actually one of the restaurants on the show 'The Chopping Block'.

Baja Cantina - 43-45 Glebe Point Rd, Glebe, NSW 2037, (02) 9571 1199
Baja Cantina Menu

We order a Mojito and a Pina colada to start with, being in a Mexican restaurant, who can resist these!?

Mojito and Pina Colada $12 each

We were super hungry (why are we always super hungry???) and we got a bit ambitious and tried to order 1 appetiser or antojitos and 2 mains, luckily the waitress 'stopped' us saying that the 1 entree and 1 main is plenty =]

Antojitos - Quesadilla $12 (Crispy flour tortilla filled with jack cheese and jalapeños with house made Mexican Chorizo and potato)

The quesadilla was delicious with a smear of the sour cream, the cheese was oozing slightly out of the crispy tortilla pockets. I didn't taste any jalapeños nor any hint of spiciness, should have tried the sauce that was sitting on our table... 

The hot sauce. I am too much of a chicken!

After polishing the quesadilla off we were pretty sated, ahhh the cheese working its magic!

Plate 1 of 3 for the Fajitas $25 - salsa, cheese, crema, onion, lettuce, rice and beans

This plate came first, followed by...

Plate 2 of 3 for the Fajitas - guacamole, tortillas and an extra serving (3) of tortillas ($2.50 extra)

When we were ordering the Fajitas, the waitress informed us that we would be making or wrapping the tortillas ourselves. 

I remember having this little 'thing' against eating with my hands. Especially the first time at a Korean BBQ where traditionally your suppose to get a piece of lettuce leaf, place a piece of cooked meat which would be cut up, a pickle and smear some sauce on it, and basically wrap or squish the 'package' as small as possible and stuff it in your mouth - whole. Not take a bite out of it, but put the whole thing in at once. 

Well at that time I basically felt stupid, because the lettuce wrap was so BIG. I can hardly chew! There is no looking dignified while eating lettuce wraps at Korean BBQs... or at least I can't...

Plate 3 of 3 for the Fajitas - marinated prawns with sautéed capsicum and onions.   

The prawns were still sizzling when it arrived. The waitress recommended the prawns over the steak or the chicken. So this is what you basically do. Spread some guacamole on the tortilla, put on a bit of everything from plate 1 and 3 and you get...

Tada! Fajita with marinated prawns, sautéed capsicum and onions, guacamole...etc etc etc! 

Wrap it up, with your hands...

I know your hungry, but I need to take a picture!!

... and basically munch!

Random shot of the décor

I'd have to say I am thoroughly impressed, I mean its simple and delicious and its fun to make! If we forego the drinks it would have been pretty nice on the pockets and for large groups of people - for my graduation dinner on Friday!! 

Toodles for now, Italian coming up!

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the fish tacos I had there. We went there for a friend's birthday and we all really enjoyed the food! :)

    ReplyDelete