Fallen head over heels for food!!

Friday, April 16, 2010

Chocolate Lava Cake

Was bored today at home, so I decided to make chocolate lava cake - hmm the gooey goodness. A bit ironic as it has some reference to the lava erupting out of the Earth's crust in Iceland, as the volcano continues to puff smoke and dust onto the atmosphere.

No these aren't as gooey as I would have liked them, but hey they are damn delicious and chocolate is one of the feel good foods too! (Perfect for the little grumpy me at home) Dark chocolate is what I used, although being only 40% coco solids, they were the only thing I had in the house.... none of those fake imitation chocolate flavours in sight around my house!!! (white chocolate is NOT chocolate!!!). Still don't have the courage to open/use the 99% coco solids I bought last month!!!

I followed this recipe from famous french desserts (yes I believe in the "I'm feeling lucky" button) with a few modifications (ie more chocolate, less butter):

Oozing Chocolate Lava cake - I made 8 little lava cakes 
200g dark cooking chocolate
140g butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup plain flour
butter for the ramekins

1. Butter the ramekins with softened (not melted) butter and place back into the fridge
2. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees
3. Melt the butter and the chocolate together (by either having a bain marie, or microwave)
4. Beat the eggs and the sugar together until pale and fluffy (electric beaters makes life so much easier)
5. Mix in the melted chocolate and butter followed by the flour
6. Pour into ramekins
7. The time is takes to bake really depends on your oven... mine took around about 12 minutes

I made them about 3 hours ago and there is only 2 left.... The irresistible and decadent chocolate smell can not be missed and if this can cause my parents to stop watching their TV show and come down stairs with their cups to enjoy a bit of dessert after dinner... then it is definitely a real winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment