Fallen head over heels for food!!

Monday, April 5, 2010

Taiwanese part 2

Me: "Ooo!! it's new!!"

Taiwan - 52 Dixon St, Haymarket, NSW  (02) 9212 2220 
This is a hybrid to what caused the public to flock to Wagaya (well, kind of?) with the touch screens, atmospheric booths settings and of course the food!

Ground level with the touch screens at each table. Check out the black chandelier!

S and I went at around 4pm for lunch (after our 4 hours of butt-flattening hair dressing appointments), we were extremely hungry and I was on the verge of chucking a tantrum... me and low blood sugar don't get along too well!

'Screen shot' of the English menu
I proceed to order the 'combe B' thinking that the deep fried chicken I love so much will satisfy my empty stomach. Note: the English menu isn't very detailed in the thumb nail view, we ordered with the Mandarin menu. Ordering was very easy and much like Wagaya; you have tabs on the top (appetisers, noodles, rice, soup, drinks ...etc), you tap on the item of interest and it will - sometimes - show you the full description. 

MINE all MINE!!! Fried chicken + mince rice + green tea
The good thing about having a touch screen ordering system is this: it gets the food quicker to you as it cuts down the waiter's 'walking' time.  

The crispy chicken came first, despite its looks, it was steaming hot inside and being the hungry person I unfortunately burnt my mouth....

Photo perfection of the mince rice, 1/2 egg and slices of pickled daikon radish.

The mince rice had a generous helping of the mince + sauce. Soft and flavoursome, the pickle served as a perfect palette refresher in between mouth full of mince rice.

S's grilled chicken + mince rice + drink

The grilled chicken that comes with S's combo had me nodding and shoving plain white rice into my mouth.  Thanks to the thinness of the chicken and the sweet and salty sauce it was the perfect dish for a hungry human with plain white rice. 

The portions didn't seem big, but the satiety score of the meal was high (mainly due to the high fat/protein content). I couldn't finish the rice nor the crispy chicken! I tried my best! I really did!! 

Other dishes that I have tried included the 'bamboo shaped rice' which looks like this:
Yum, sticky rice with bits of meat through it. 

The sticky rice 'pudding' was warm, but not hot enough which was a disappointment. I like the one in Chatswood night market more. It can be ordered as part of a combo with a side dish and a drink ($10.90), the side dish we ordered was - don't freak out - pig ears. 

Pig ears, don't be fooled by the name, it is high in collagen which is good for your skin

 The pig ears were good, it is a bit chewy, flavoursome and the perfect - if we were in a izakaya (Japanese drink establishment which also serves food) side dish to drink a cold beer with.

Crispy chicken with rice

And because we like to compare stuff, we ordered the crispy chicken rice. The batter for the chicken looks less appealing compared to the one from Sunflower and the side dishes weren't as good either. Even though  the cabbages are there - hiding under the chicken - but stirred fried eggs?! Sunflower crispy chicken rice wins on flavour, balance and portion size, as well as being cheaper! 

After all the deep fried, salty goodness I can say that I have satisfied my taste-buds' craving for Taiwanese foods. Time to move on to something else...

6 comments:

  1. Uhhhh....new one~~~
    The serving looks so big....the two of you ate of these....?

    CX

    ReplyDelete
  2. wakakaka no, I went on 2 occasions =]. If I had that much of a stomach I would've signed up for Menya's 1kg noodle challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had tried this before i left syd..!

    it was $ but the servings werent that big><

    Clau

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am crazy for sticky rice and that dish looks really very tempting! :o

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Clau's comment on the small serving size. My Dad thought it's Taiwanese serving size with an Australian price. :D

    YL

    ReplyDelete
  6. claud: ya, i still like sunflower waaay more, its cheaper and its yummier!

    lorraine: I love sticky rice... will try to make one next time as my mum makes one awesome (healthy) version!

    Y: it IS small! well we are in Australia (un?)fortunately >_<!! I'm narrowing down the next entertainment book venture!!

    ReplyDelete