Fallen head over heels for food!!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sushi Burger - Melbourne

"Where is the place?" I asked desperately clutching my stomach after a depressing interview at St Vincent's Hospital
"Its a bit further down"

During my short trip down to Melbourne where I was lucky enough to travel down there before the terrifying golf-sized hail storm hit (and apparently there was an International Atheist Convention in Melbourne on the same day.... God is watching). We did a little research to find something quirky and not normally found in Sydney (like we always do....within price range of course so fifteen was out of the question!) We found Sushi Burger, a Japanese eatery quite different from your usual sushi and bentos!

As the name suggests, they do Sushi - burger style. Concepts like these are not unheard of as it has already saturated the Asian market firstly by MOS burger, a Japanese take-away style akin to McDonalds, except smaller, tastier and offers rice burgers!
Image from www.mos.com.tw/seafoodriceburger.htm

Sushi Burger by Japanese Cafe Restaurant J does an extensive explanation of "What is a sushi burger" which includes a cute drawing of the cross section of the hamburger sushi burger.

We were there a bit early than their opening time of 12pm and we can already see 2 groups of people waiting outside!

As soon as the door opens we were ushered to a table and presented with their menus


We order a sushi burger box ($16.50) which includes your choice of a main meal and sushi burger served with a miso soup and a spare sushi burger for me. While we take in the atmosphere we notice quite a few white collar workers taking away sushi burgers on their lunch break.

We quickly receive the eagerly awaited for sushi burger and the miso soup with the sushi burger set.

Ebi (prawn) mayo sushi burger $7.50

The sushi burger was the size of my palm, a bit small but it was delish. The creamy mayo was the perfect compliment to the sweetness of the chunky, lightly battered and fried prawns. The burger is warm and the rice is in good proportion to the filling. K soon receive his kani croquette main.

Kani Croquette
... and his spicy salmon sushi burger

K, being hungry quickly chomps his burger until I said, give me a taste! We swapped, the raw salmon is soft and luxurious with a hint of spiciness and a good serving of 'The Sauce' (totally forgot what it tastes like, but it was nice! Baaad memory). But I quickly grabbed my Ebi sushi burger back as I still like my Japanese food with mayo!

After cleaning our portions we sat there satisfied but still with room for more, we then quickly decided that it was a good thing since we were planning to go for afternoon tea!

Sushi Burger by Japanese Cafe Restaurant J
167 Exhibition St,
Melbourne 3000
Victoria
Tel/Fax: (03) 9650 9877

5 comments:

  1. Am I the first visitor~~haha~~
    Well, I have to say that the burgers are certainly not cheap...but certainly look very yummy....why don't we see them in Sydney...= =||
    CX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work!! on staring ur own blog, anticipating you to be a top food blogger very soon. And take me to yummy foods...hmmmm.....

    I want to try the sushi burger too, lets order it from melbourne, lol!

    (I was the first!! u noe it blogger )

    Sss

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried their beef burger and found it too salty.

    You can write pretty well and the photos are lovely! Looking forward to more blog entries! :)

    YL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe very smart-always leave room for afternoon tea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. C: K and I were saying why don't we start one in Sydney hahaha! lets bring mos burger down under!

    S: we will, we will. Plus they don't seem that hard to make... just need to get all the sauces and... proportions right?! tehehe

    Y: Well if I could, I would've tried every thing on their menu! I'll just stick with the hope of replicating the sushi burger at home! Hoping to take better pics in the future!

    Lorraine: like the saying... girls always have room for tea/dessert sweet things! =D

    ReplyDelete